Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Grace in a City // New York Portrait Photography

Earlier this month, I had the incredible gift of traveling for a special evening away from home to spend time with a dear friend in a special place.  Ever since I was six years old, New York City was my Emerald City.  I visited as much as I could, always mesmerized by lights and color.  I frequently spent weekends in college staying in friends' apartments.  I even studied there for a semester and had some incredible experiences.  Even though this city is very much not my home now, a piece of my heart will always love it, with its glamour and busyness filled with secret spots of beauty and blessing.  One profound example of this was this building that I photographed:
In the midst of a business district, above some pretty modern and fancy buildings, the word "grace" was prominently displayed.  A sweet message of blessing and beauty reminding us to look for grace in places that it may be harder to find.  And as I look back at that photo, I realize that another source of grace in this city is in the face and heart of a dear friend who now dwells amongst the lights and concrete.  My former college roommate, Megan.
Megan is so special to me.  I cannot express in words what her friendship has meant to me over the past several years.  She made me laugh and was a shoulder to cry on all through college.  She knew my heart and my struggles, and was a safe person for me to confide.  She was so supportive and important as she stood beside me as a bridesmaid on my wedding day, and even sang my husband's and my first dance.  Oh yeah.  About that.  She sings.  And she is one of the single most incredible performers and singers I have ever encountered in my life.

Megan's voice is filled with power and magic and emotion.  Her voice is timeless, pure, and tells stories better than any of my photographs ever could.  When she acts, she becomes another person so well that you think she has literally walked every mile in their shoes.  She is so rare and incredibly talented.  And she is my dear friend, whose gifts range so far beyond entertainment.  She is a child of God, who loves the Lord and gives Him glory in her performing.  It is obvious His grace shines in her.  In this city where so many people just brush by, never making eye contact, never saying more than a word (much less kind words), she is such a breath of fresh air.  I watched in awe as she encouraged the Times Square people who pass out signs, and as she greeted coffee baristas with "Hey friend!" and shot them winning smiles.  I am positive that her very presence regularly makes peoples' days.

While we were spending much-needed girl time wandering around the city, we stopped into an old stage door and chatted with a dear mutual friend about performers who had gone through those doors.  And while standing under head shots and signatures of the greats, Megan received a phone call telling her that she had been cast in a dream role in a production that would be incredibly important to her career.  And I believe with all my heart that no one deserves this more than she does.  I was so thrilled to actually be there to photograph her accepting the role, and celebrating it afterward.

There was a torrential downpour in the city that day, and I really wanted to practice taking headshots.  When we experienced literally five minutes of reprieve from the weather, we ducked into the courtyard outside the Grace building.  And I spent those minutes watching my beautiful friend, and trying to capture even an ounce of the grace she exudes from her being.  Even in five minutes, she worked the camera with the magic she has.

I am so thankful and blessed to know this dear friend.  She has touched my life in such an invaluable way.  She lights up every stage she is on in such a way that you are sure it will never be the same.  And she brings grace to a huge city, and a bright smile to an afternoon of rain.





0 comments:

Post a Comment